Ms. Boby Dhoke
Student, Department of Business Management,
Jhulelal Institute of Technology.
Dr. Swati Rahate
Assistant Professor, Department of Business Management,
Jhulelal Institute of Technology, Nagpur
The employee performance is to a large extent, influenced by motivation and employment satisfaction. Job-Satisfaction is the favourableness or unfavourableness with which employees view their work. Employee’s attitude, job satisfaction and industrial morale are often considered to be synonymous but they are not the same. A favourable attitude may contribute to job-satisfaction because job-satisfaction is the result of so many attitudes. It also refers to a person’s feeling of satisfaction on the job, which acts as a motivation to work. Western Coalfield Limited is one of the eight subsidiary companies of Coal India Limited (CIL) which is under administrative control of Ministry of Coal.The present paper is an effort to analyze the critical factors related to employment satisfaction with respect to Western Coalfield Limited. The work life at Western Coal field Limited was examined and various parameters such as salary, bonus and incentives, working hours, physical working conditions, boredom at work, security and health facilities etc. has been studies. It is observed from the study that the employees of WCL are satisfied by the organization.
Keywords: Job satisfaction, Employment satisfaction, WCL.
DEFINITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT SATISFACTION
- Keith Davis has defined Job Satisfaction as “the favourableness or unfavourableness with which employees view their work”.
- According to Hoppock, “Job Satisfaction is an outcome of psychological, physiological and environmental forces that cause a person to say truthfully, I am satisfied with my job”.
- According to Smith, “Job Satisfaction is the persistent feeling towards discriminative aspects of the job situation”.
- Bullock considers Job Satisfaction as “an attitude which results from a balancing and summation of many specific likes and dislikes experienced in connection with the job”.
- Vroom defines Job Satisfaction as “the positive orientation of an individual towards all aspects of the work situation”.
Human resource is considered to be the most valuable asset in any organization. It is the sum-total of inherent abilities, acquired knowledge and skills represented by the talents and aptitudes of the employed persons who comprise executives, supervisors and employees. It may be noted here that human resource should be utilized to the maximum possible extent, in order to achieve individual and organizational goals. It is thus the employee’s performance, which ultimately decides the attainment of goals. However, the employee performance is to a large extent, influenced by motivation and employment satisfaction.
The term job satisfaction reveals and focuses on the likes and dislikes of the employees of WCL. In this work, the survey made regarding the job satisfaction in WCL. It will facilitate and enables the management to know the perceptions and inner feelings regarding the job they are performing on day-to-day basis. Here a try has been made to identify the causes for satisfaction and dissatisfaction among the employees. This survey also enables to avoid misinterpretations and helps management in solving problems effectively. So this may be an effective and selective instrument for diagnosing and peeping into the employee’s problems.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The specific objectives of the study are as follows:
- To Study quality of Work Life at Western Coalfield Limited.
- To analyze organizational commitment at WCL.
- To study stress consequences related to employment satisfaction.
- To examine satisfaction regarding the salary and other benefits of its employees.
- To observe the level of satisfaction among of employees relating to the nature of the job and other critical factors.
- To know the security and the safety measure taken by the organization.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
In the survey an attempt has been made to Analysis of the critical factors related to employment satisfaction with respect to Western Coalfield Limited.
The Headquarter of the WCL is situated at Civil Lines, Nagpur with one of the Area Office in Nagpur, Zaripataka and the Bhanegaon-Singori Sub-Area is one of the part of Nagpur Area office. The study tries tounderstand the level of satisfaction among the employees of WCL. Job satisfaction of the employees has been analysed on the basis of the following job related factors: Salary and monetary benefits, Job security, Promotion policy, Working environment,
Organizational Commitment, Boredom at Work, Nature of job, Quality of work life, Superiors and sub-ordinate relationship, Medicare, Union Commitment, Stress Consequences.
- Illiteracy in workers leads to face difficulties to answer the questionnaire properly.
- The study is conducted only in the Bhanegaon-Singori Sub-Area of Nagpur area, Western Coalfield Limited.
- Some of the replies of the respondents are biased.
- Respondents had marked the answers in questionnaires which may be socially incorrect irrespective of their actual feelings.
Employment Satisfaction is a very essential aspect in very organization. Employments should be designed in such a way that the all the employees feel satisfied their jobs more perfectly and in a good manner and also can achieve their goals and in turn it increases the productivity, less attrition rates, absenteeism etc.
II. LITERATURE REVIEW
Job satisfaction is a topic of wide interest now days to the working people as well as the organisation. Many studies have been conducted to identify the various components of the job satisfaction. They are discussed in the following section:
Singh and Jain discussed about the broad contours of various variables responsible for employee satisfaction and various ways by which one can maximize employee satisfaction (Singh and Jain, 2013). Sree and Satyavathy suggested that it is vital for an organization to motivate their employees to work hard for achieving the organizational goals and objectives (Sree and Satyavathy, 2017). Data has been collected through a self-administered survey questionnaire which is adopted from a previous validated survey. Here the target population consisted of educational institutes, banking sector and telecommunication industry operating in the city of Quetta, Pakistan. Simple random sampling is used for collection of data from 210 employees. The results of the study indicated that there must be the positive and healthy relationship between working environment and employee job satisfaction (Raziqa and Maulabaksha, 2011). The study has been conducted to evaluate how human resource factors affect the satisfaction level of employees in BPCL-Kochi Refinery Limited. It assesses how far welfare and financial factors motivate the employee in the company. The study also attempts to analyze the opinion of employees towards the working life in the company (Anju and George, 2011). An investigation has been carried out to provide empirical evidence about the impact of Job satisfaction on Organizational commitments. Also the findings of the study are important for both practitioners and academics (Eslami and Gharakhani, 2012).
III. METHODOLOGY ADOPTED
The method of sampling chosen was that of simple random sampling. In this method every item of population has equal chance of inclusion in the sample. The population of the study was that of a finite universe. The sample size was for 75 employees.
There are totally 375 employees working in the organization.
Out of the total strength the sample taken from 75 respondents.
The research was conducted at Bhanegaon-Singori Sub-Area, Bhanegaon Open Cast Mine (BOCM) office and Singori Open Cast Mine (SOCM) office of Nagpur Area, Western Coalfield Limited (WCL), one of the subsidiaries of Coal India Limited (CIL).
The research was made by the survey in accordance to the convenience of the employees. So the sample type is convenient sampling.
The primary data is collected from the respondents by administering the structured questionnaire and also through observation, interview and discussion with management.
This will give the theoretical basis required for the report presentationwhich can be available from various sources such as magazines, office files, inter officemanual and web site.
Data Collection Tool:
A close-ended questionnaire consisting of 21 questions was used in the research. Close- ended questions are when you ask the respondent to answer the question based on the options already given. You provide the questions, and give some options for them to choose from. The Respondents need to choose from those options given only.
IV. DATA ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
Table shows the responses of the respondents on various parameters.
Maximum numbers of employee are satisfied with their employment at Western Coalfield Limited (WCL).
- Employees are satisfied with salary offering at Western Coalfield Limited (WCL).
- Majority of employees are satisfied with employment conditions prevailing in organization.
- Majority of employees are satisfied with promotion and transfer policies.
- Employees are satisfied with physical working conditions at WCL.
- Employees are satisfied with working hours at WCL.
- Employees are satisfied with welfare facilities.
- Majority of employees are satisfied with organizational commitment.
- Majority of employees find their job interesting and exciting and have no boredom at work.
- Employees are satisfied with the bonus and incentives given by the organization.
- Employees are satisfied with the working environment.
- Employees have good chemistry between work groups i.e. between different classes of working designation.
- Employees are satisfied with the overtime allowances.
- Majority of employees are not satisfied with the holidays given at mine office of WCL.
- Employees are satisfied with the safety measures.
- The mutual co-operation between employees at a work place is very important to carry out the work at right time, so, the organization should take of providing scope for communication with other departments.
- Organization should take some steps to improve the working efficiency of employees.
- Organization should increases the holidays declared for the mine offices as it directly related to employee’s happiness also reduce the discrimination regarding holidays given at city offices and mine offices.
- Organization should make changes in the work allotment process to distribute work according to the education and skills of employees.
- Organization should improve the infrastructure at mine offices.
The job provides the opportunity to the employees to exercise his/her skills at work place. Number of employees accepted that at times there is a considerable flexibility in co-ordinating with work and they are satisfied with the existing interpersonal communication. In Western Coalfield Limited they follow the systematic planning and review process to evaluate the performance of employee. From analysis it was also observed that was there is the scope for the improvement of working conditions in WCL. The employees of Western Coalfield Limited are satisfied with their work and organization.
- Jitendra Kumar Singh and Mini Jain, (2013). “A study of Employees job satisfaction and its impact on their performance”, Journal of Indian Research 1(4), pp 105-111
- R. Naga Bhavya Sree and R. Satyavathi, (2017). “Employee job satisfaction”, International Journal of Engineering and Management Research 7(5), pp 85-94.
- Abdul Raziqa and Raheela Maulabaksha, (2011). “Impact of working environment on job satisfaction”, paper in proceeding of 2nd GLOBAL CONFERENCE on BUSINESS, ECONOMICS, MANAGEMENT and TOURISM, 30-31 October 2014, Prague, Czech Republic.
- K. J. Anju and Sona George, (2011). “A study on job satisfaction of employees in BPCL- kochi Refinery Limited, Ambalamugal”, paper in proceedings of National Conference on Emerging Trends in Business, At Christ University Bangalore.
- Javed Eslami and Davood Gharakhani, (2012). “Organizational commitment and job satisfaction”, Journal of Science and Technology 2(2).
- Company Magazines. Khanan Bharti Pragati. Nagpur WCL Coal Estate,
- Civil Lines, Nagpur
- Retrieved from https://www.scribd.com/doc/28316196/Labour-welfare-at-
- Retrieved from ANNUAL REPORT 2017-18.