Saurabh P. Kuhikar1, Animesh S. Gupta2, Lalit V. Gohane3, P. D. Khandait4
1,2,3,Student, Department of Electronics Engineering, K.D.K.C.E, Nagpur, India
4Professor & HOD, Department of Electronics Engineering, K.D.K.C.E, Nagpur, Indiabr>
In modern day to day life the power saving factor is very critical because many problems related to that affect to save power. The power consumption factors, life of product, and quality of product those factors are more difficult to predict for a product. As compare with SMD LED products this is involve in that package of product. It is challenging to find life of any electronic device i.e. SMD LED. The LED is one of the components that used in the human being life in present as well as future as comparatively high power bulbs. But the question arises, how we can calculate the life of LED? Because in electronic market number of companies are manufacture LED, but it is difficult task to identify to choose branded LED. Hence our aim is to design a product that should identify the branded and non branded SMD LED.
Keywords – Mechanism, SMD LED, Sensor, Driver, Display.
Nowadays every type of Bulbs is available in market that can consumed high power and it is costly for general people. To overcome this situation LEDs are invented to combine multiple LED form a bulb but many types LED developer companies are stayed in market. Some branded companies are following the Standard rules and developing materials to manufacture the SMD LEDs . Another LED manufacture companies are not follow the standard rules and regulation to develop an SMD LED that affect the quality of LED. When the customer can buy SMD LED. It is difficult task to distinguish which one is the good one, because at the surface of SMD LED there is no any brand logo and information are written. Hence all SMD LED look like same except the size and cost. Therefore we don’t have any method to distinguish between branded and non branded LEDs. So this project based on that to differentiate the SMD LEDs are branded or not if it’s none branded then it is very easy for customer to know . Here we are designed a mechanism that automatically test the SMD LED on the basis of parameters and select the good quality of product that profit goes to the customer.
II. COMPONENTS USED
A. Arduino UNO
The main component of the mechanism is brain that can handle the entire task according to the program which is built on that. In market many types of controllers and processor are available. Arduino is one of them; it is a micro controller board that can be open source available with the less cost and light weight. For arduino open source software IDE (integrated development environment) is available on internet [1,14]. This software can support C language program as shown in fig.2.The arduino board can be work with 5 volt as well as 12 volt dc supply hence it doesn’t need any high power supply.
Specifications of arduino Uno are as follows.
- It is an 8 bit microcontroller.
- It can be operate at 5 volt as well as 12 volt and the range of input voltage is 6-20 volts.
- It has 16 input /output pins from that 6 are PWM pins and 6 are analog pins i.e. A0 to A5.
- It has inbuilt 32kb flash memory with boot loader
- It having the frequency(clock speed) of 16 MHz
- In arduino board having a USB port that can directly communicate with the computer via a USB cable..
- There is in built jack connector for external power supply to arduino.
- Reset button is present for reset the controller .
B. Brightness sensor (BH1750)
Ambient light sensors include a photodiode which may sense light energy and convert it into electrical energy. Light is measured depending upon its intensity. As shown in fig.3. PD is that the photodiode which is employed to sense the sunshine.
Specifications of BH1750 are as follows.
- The working voltage of BH1750 is 2.4 to 3.6 volt.
- It consume very less amount of current i.e. 0.12 mA.
- No need for other mathematical calculation it gives digital signal to the arduino
- It has an ability to convert analog intensity into digital lux value
- It can operate with 400 KHz of clock I2C frequency
- It can calculate light intensity up to the range of 65535 lx units.
- It operates in temperature range of -40°C to 85°C.
- The range of sensor is adjustable according to the arduino programming
- This sensor cannot depend on any light source .
C. LCD display 16×2
An LCD is an electronic display module which uses liquid to supply a visual image. The 16×2 LCD display could be a very basic module commonly utilized in DIYs and circuits. It can interpret to a display 16 characters per line in two rows. During this LCD each character is displayed in a very 5×7 pixel matrix [1,17].
Specifications of LCD display are as follows
- It has operating voltage in between 4.7V to 5.3V.
- It is used in 8 bit or 4 bit mode.
- Backlight available in blue and green.
- It has 2 rows and 16 columns.
- It can print alphanumeric word along with character.
- Current consumption capacity is 1 mA without backlight .
D. Nokia 5110 display
The Nokia 5110 may be a basic graphic LCD screen for many applications. It absolutely was originally intended to be used as a cellular phone screen. This is mounted on a straightforward to solder PCB. The PCD8544 may be a low power CMOS LCD controller/driver and designed to drive a graphic display of 48 rows and 84 columns [1, 18].
Specification of Nokia 5110 Display are as follows
- It can work with the operating voltage between 2.7 to 3.7 Volts.
- It has minimum current consumption capacity i.e. 6mA.
- It consist of 84×48 monochrome pixel i.e. 48 rows and 84 columns.
- It can easily interface with arduino board.
- It can be Works using SPI interface.
- Backlight available in blue and green .
E. LED Driver circuit
The SMD LED can operate with an appropriate voltage and current. This facility can be provided by the LED driver circuitry it included some resistor, Regulator IC7805 and switches. The working of this driver is very simple. The 12 volt dc supply provided by the adapter that voltage regulated by the IC7805.From the input side 2 Ampere current is applied to the regulator that gives 5 volt 1.5 Amp supply. The driver gives two different constant current i.e.150 mA and 350mA as shown in fig. 6, When S1 switch is closed we get 150 mA current at the output pin of regulator as well as when S2 switch is closed we get 350mA current at the same pin of that regulator.
III. WORKING OF PROJECT
The project operation is very simple and easy. At the beginning choose any SMD LED and placed the LED at the distance of 1 meter from brightness sensor. To direct the flow of light of LED through the plastic pipe so that the direction of light is straight and directly given to the sensor. Every standard company provides data sheet for LED . According to the standard datasheet when we apply 150 mA constant current to the LED then we get brightness of LED in 65 lumen or by applying 350mA constant current then we get 120 lumen. As shown in the flow chart fig.7. The output is shown on display i.e. LCD and Nokia 5110 display. For sensing the brightness of LED we used BH1750 light sensor module it gives analog output signal to the brain of mechanism i.e.Arduino Uno. The parameters of LED which are voltage, power, lumen . This all parameter are calculate accordingly the code dumped in the arduino board and show the result on LCD or the Nokia display. On the basis of output shows we can decide which one is branded and non branded by compare with the standard datasheet.
In this project we made an automatic mechanism that can check or test the parameters of SMD LED successfully and now it is possible to distinguish between branded and non branded SMD LED.
Table 1: Analysis of SMD LED
After the analysis of SMD LED parameters it is clear that with the help of this mechanism we can find all the parameters of SMD LED automatically. It is easy method or technique that help to choose the best SMD LED which works as a long life duration and it can also the save time and money of the customer.
- Saurabh P. Kuhikar, Animesh S. Gupta, Lalit V. Gohane and P. D. Khandait, “Automatic Mechanism for LED Parameters Testing and Checking,” in International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) volume: 7, issue:02, pp. 1374-1377, February 2020.
- S. Kuhikar, A. Gupta, L. Gohane and P. D. Khandait, “Automatic Mechanism for LED Parameters Testing and Checking,” in International Journal of Research in Engineering, Science and Management, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 607-608, January 2020.
- Obaidur Rahman, Sean Elphick,Kashem M. Muttaqi and Jason David “Investigation of LED Lighting Performance in the Presence of Ripple Injection Load Control Signals,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol.55 , Issue: 5 , Sept.-Oct. 2019.
- Aman Jha and Manoj Kumar,“A Wide Range Constant Current LED Driver with Improved Power Quality and Zero Standby,” IEEE IEEMA Engineer Infinite Conference (eTechNxT), 13-14 march 2018.
- Selcuk Sakar, Sarah Ronnberg and Math H. J. Bollen, “Immunity Test of LED Lamps Based on IEC 61000-4-19 and Unexpected Consequence,” IEEE 18th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power (ICHQP), 13-16 May 2018.
- Yao Bin, Xu Huawei, Zhou Zhenwei, Lu Guoguang, Lai Canxiong and Li Ruguan, “The Study of Natural Exposure Testing for LED Lighting System,” 18th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, 16-19 Aug 2017.
- Xiaohui Qu, Huai Wang and Xiaoqing Zhan, “A Lifetime Prediction Method for LEDs Considering Mission Profiles,” IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 20-24 march 2016.
- Muna E. Raypah, Bashiru K. Sodipo, Mutharasu Devarajan, and Fauziah Sulaiman ,”Estimation of Luminous Flux and Luminous Efficacy of Low-Power SMD LED as a Function of Injection Current and Ambient Temperature,” IEEE Transaction on Electron devices ,vol.63,no.7,July 2016.
- A.Jha and B. Singh, “Power quality improvement using bridgeless-Landsman converter for LED Driver,” IET Power Electro, vol. 9, no. 13,pp. 2591-2601, Oct 2016.
- A.Jha and B. Singh, “Modified bridgeless landsman PRC converter for LED driver,” 7th India Inter. Confer. On Power Electro. (IICPE), Patiala, 2016, pp.1-6, 17-19 Nov 2016.
- Sreedevi V T,“Analysis and Simulation of A Single Stage Power Supply for LED Lighting,” International Conference on Green Computing, Communication and Conservation of Energy (ICGCE), 12-14 Dec. 2013.
- Yueh-Ru Yang, “Brightness control of LED lamp using Fuzzy logic Controller,” 5th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronic and Application, 15-17 June 2010.
- Do Hung Nguyen, Jaber Hasan, and Simon S. Ang, “A Built-In Self-Test High-Current LED Driver,” IEEE 8th International Conference on ASIC, 20-23 Oct 2009.
How to download this file as a pdf
how can i download this paper