Monali Gupta#1, Snehal Raut*2, Ashwini Gobare#3, Sandesha Deshbhratar#4
# Guru Nanak institute of Engineering and Technology .Nagpur. India.
Faculty of information technology, RTMNU
In this age of significant telecommunications competition, mobile network operators continuously seek new and Innovative ways to create differentiation and increase profit. The best ways to accomplish this is through the delivery of highly personalized services. The most powerful ways to personalize mobile services is based on location. Location is a key to provide location based services (LBS) to the user. The motivation for every location based information system is: “To assist with the exact information, at right place in real time with personalized setup and location sensitiveness”. In this era we are dealing with android and iPhones, which are going to replace the bulky desktops even for computational purposes. We have vast number of applications and usage where a person sitting in a roadside café needs to get relevant data and information. Such needs can only be catered with the help of LBS. But these applications are limited to desktops only. We need to import them on mobile devices. We must ensure that a person when visiting places need not carry the travel guides with him.
Keywords – Android, GPS, LBS.
People travel for many purposes: on business, for recreation, education, and entertainment, to meet business partners, friends and families. Thanks to the rapid development in wireless communication and location positioning technologies. Users with location-aware wireless devices can query about their surroundings (e.g., finding the nearest restaurant or all shopping malls within 5 miles) at any place, anytime.
The project aims in designing a Location Based Application that can be operated using Android mobile phone. Location based service (LBS) is emerging as a killer application in mobile data services. A Location Based Service (LBS) is an information and entertainment service, accessible with mobile devices through the mobile network and utilizing the ability to make use of geographical position of the mobile device. One of the most obvious technologies behind LBS is positioning, with the most widely recognized system being the Global Positioning System (GPS). There are no subscription fees or setup charges to use GPS.
A Location Based Service (LBS) is an information and entertainment service, accessible with mobile devices through the mobile network and utilizing the ability to make use of geographical position of the mobile device. A LBS services can be used in a variety of contexts, such as health, work, personal life, etc. LBS include services to identify the location of a person or object, such as discovering the nearest banking cash machine or the where about of a friend or employee. LBS services include parcel tracking and vehicle tracking services.
II. LITERATURE REVIEW
Initially mobile phones were developed only for voice communication but now days the scenario has changed, voice communication is just one aspect of a mobile phone. There are other aspects which are major focus of interest. Two such major factors are web browser and GPS services. Both of these functionalities are already implemented but are only in the hands of manufacturers not in the hands of users. But now, after the release of android based open source mobile phone a user can access the hardware directly.
Let us consider the following scenarios which gives a vision on how this project could support tourists in the near future. The scenarios also illustrate some key features of the system.
1. A businessman has an afternoon off. This came rather unexpectedly, and now he strolls through the centre of Heidelberg spontaneously. He has, however, switched on his PDA and enabled the pro-active tip agent of the CRUMPET service. After a while, he hears a tone and sees an icon on his screen indicating a tip. When he clicks on it a note appears saying that he is quite near to one of the historic sites of Heidelberg, in which he might be interested. Indeed he is, and when he clicks on “more information” he receives directions to the site and a short description.2. A group of tourists is visiting town, each member of the group is following their own personal tour or business. But they want to meet for lunch, at a restaurant that suits all, and at a place that can be reached comfortably from the current position of all members of the group. The system judges from the user models of all group members that Italian or bistro-type restaurants would suit all of them. It can also determine an area that is equidistant from the current position of all group members. It then looks up suitable restaurants in this area and offers them to the group members.
The key features of the system as illustrated by these scenarios are:
Making use of personal interests:
- Domain-specific interests of the user serve as a basis for selecting and sorting Service offer.
- The system learns the user’s interest over time, i.e. from the user’s interaction With the system.
Making use of the user’s current position:
- The user’s current location is observed on the basis of GPS sensor data.
- The GPS data about the geo-coordinates are related to data in Geo-Information Systems (GIS) of the region.
- The current location serves as input for the service selection.
- Location-based services are offered, such as creating a tour, giving directions, creating maps.
- The system is realized as a multi-agent system, including middle-agents to mediate between user and distributed service agents.
- The middle-agents integrate various support features of system and facilitate the user interaction.
- The system may exploit several content providers for one request of the user.
- Pro-active assistance is given, when enabled by the user.
III. RELATED WORK CONCEPTS
1. Android OS
Android is an operating system. It is developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google. It consists of kernel based on the Linux kernel, with middleware, libraries and APIs and application software running on an application framework which includes Java-compatible libraries. Android uses the Dalvik virtual machine to run compiled Java code. Android has a large community of developers writing applications (“apps”).Android provides a large services to their user with good user interface. Android includes a set of core libraries that provides most of the functionality available in the core libraries of the Java programming language.
Android Location API
The different classes present under Location API package to retrieve the Location information of the user.
- LocationManager: This class provides access to the location service. It also provides facility to get best location provider
- location provider: It‘s an abstract super class for A location provider provides periodic reports on the geographical location of the device
- Location Listener: This class provides callback method which are called when location gets changed. The listener object has to be registered.
Global Positioning System (GPS) is U.S. owned utility. It provides users with positioning, navigation. Global Positioning System satellites transmit signals to equipment on the ground. GPS receivers passively receive satellite signals; they do not transmit. GPS operations depend on a very accurate time reference. We can make our app more flexible and smarter using GPS by finding users location automatically. The function geolocation () will get the location from network provider first, and then get the location from GPS provider. The user location will be monitored using GPS and then load them and show the successful results to the user. In addition to this GPS provider and Network provider can be accessed directly by using the static variables defined in the
3. Location Based Services
Location Based Services is a big advantage in field of GPS. Location Based Service provides value added services by enabling services such as resource tracking, finding location using using longitude and latitude. Location Based Services is a time saving application. Location Based Service is dependent on the mobile location.
LBS has two major actions:
- Obtaining the location of user.
- Utilizing the information to provide a service.
Location Based Services are user request service provider. Mobile devices are tools to access LBS and provide services to user. LBS provide real time information based on the user’s location. Location Based Services provides the mobile client personalized services. Android provides access to the component to facilitates the component to facilitates. The implementation of LBS services using following class; LocationManager class of android is present to manage other components needed to establish a LBS system.
IV IMPLEMENTATION AND SCREENSHOTS
1. Login Activity
2. Registration Activity
3. Personalised Activity
Initially mobile phones were developed only for voice communication but now days the scenario has changed, voice communication is just one aspect of a mobile phone. There are other aspects which are major focus of interest. This report has presented the need for Location based services. The LBS application can help user to find hospitals, school, gas filling station or any other facility of interest indicated by user within certain range. Just like a GPS device, its location will also be updated as soon as user changes his/her position.
- Wikipedia.org/wiki/Location Based Services
- Wikipedia.org/wiki/Personalized Data
- Various eBooks related to android.
- Location Based Services using Android Mobile Operating System, International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology, Mar 2011
- Context-aware Personalized Mobile Web Search Techniques-A Review, Deepika Bhatia et al, / (IJCSIT) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, Vol. 2 (5)
- Design and Implementation of Location Awareness and Sharing System using GPS and 3G/GPRS, International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering Vol. 7, No. 4, October, 2012.